GHANA PORTS & HARBORS AUTHORITY TO HALT INEFFICIENCIES AT THE PORTS – VEEP DIRECTS GPHA
The Vice-President, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, has directed the country’s port authorities to act decisively in halting the inefficiencies at the ports. Such inefficiencies and other bottlenecks, he said, had resulted in significant losses in revenue to the state, businesses and individuals.
“The inefficiencies encourage collusion among some importers, clearing agents, and Customs officers to exploit the system to the detriment of tax revenue,” he said.
The Vice-President gave the directive at the opening of the Port Efficiency Conference in Accra yesterday and expressed the government’s determination to work with the port authorities in dealing with the situation.
The one-day conference was organised by the Office of the Vice-President to discuss and outline practical ways of addressing the port efficiency issues, to the benefit of businesses. It also discussed the growth of the economy and job creation.
He noted that, in spite of the introduction of the Destination Inspection Scheme and the single window systems, aimed at addressing the inefficiencies at the ports, there were still bottlenecks militating against their efficient functioning.
Dr Bawumia said, for instance, that the issue of an ineffective customs valuation system still needed to be addressed, while the coordination of port activities, systems operations and linkages were also major concerns. “Inefficiencies breed corruption and waste,” he stressed.
On cargo clearance, Dr Bawumia said the improvements made had been very slow and that the time cargo spent at the ports, was still high, compared to ports in South Africa and other parts of the world.
“We still have delays in the clearance of goods and the attendant costs such as demurrage and rent,” he said.
In 2016, he recounted that importers paid an estimated $100 million in demurrage charges.
“This is not the kind of revenue we need or want to build this country. It is a punitive cost, an inefficiency cost. It is an avoidable cost, and it only goes to demonstrate that shippers are not releasing containers to the shipping lines in good time,” the Vice-President pointed out.
Throwing more light on challenges at the ports, he said, there were other inefficiency and nuisance costs, including those used in "facilitating" clearance through the regulatory agencies and GRA Customs itself.
Dr Bawumia said a 2013 study, conducted by renowned researchers Brian Slack and Claude Comtois on "Ships Time in Port, an International Comparison," revealed that the average time in port for vessels in Europe was about 25 hours; East & North Asia was about 17 hours, South Africa was 64 hours, but that of the Port of Tema was about 103 hours in 2016.
“Clearly, we have a long way to go. Our government would work with the Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority (GPHA), and other stakeholders towards the realisation of the objectives of the Tema and Takoradi Port expansion projects, as this is in consonance with our rapid industrialisation agenda,” he reiterated.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of West Blue Consulting, technical partners of the Ghana National Single Window (GNSW) project, Ms Valentina Mintah, in a presentation, said for the inefficiencies to be addressed, “the processes must be truly paperless such that the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA), GPHA, Customs, terminal operators and other intermediaries ought to be made to work on a single platform.”
The acting Director-General of the GPHA, Mr Paul Asare Ansah, suggested that the authority, in its quest to achieve higher productivity, should invest in logistics and infrastructure to eliminate delays within the trade chain. He said the GPHA was aware that efficiency in port trade was not limited to only the ports, but along trade corridors to enhance business competitiveness.
Soucre: Graphic online consulted on 19th of May, article published 18th of May : http://www.graphic.com.gh/news/general-news/halt-inefficiencies-at-the-ports-veep-directs-gpha.html
GNBCC | News
- 3 August: GNBCC cocktail and Final New Business Challenge 2017!
- Ghana Design Network Holds Focus Group Meeting
- Member news: Vivo Energy Ghana Wins Top Awards at COPEC OMC’s Awards
- 1st CALL UP FOR DUTCH PORT MISSION AMSTERDAM/ROTTERDAM
- Ghana Investment Summit 2017: GNBCC Promotion
- Looking for national service placement: Priscilla Agyemang-Duah
- Successful 1st GNBCC Business Breakfast
- INVITATION TO THE MESH CONFAB
- President Sirleaf Receives Letters of Credence from Ambassadors of Sweden, Mali and The Netherlands
- Official Start of the New Business Challenge - Study Trip To The Netherlands
- Economy Still Fragile – Ken Thompson
- Invitation To Sponsor And Exhibit Your Products… At The Ghana Library Authority Exhibition Show
- GNBCC'S Annual General Meeting - A Short Report
- GNBCC Business Breakfast "Pro Business Policies versus Taxation: possible?"
- Invitation To Visit Training Program FOR YOUNG IT GRADUATES
- New Member: Savannah & Sahel Company
- New Member: Cedars Investments Limited
GNBCC Member Ducomas Has Reinforced Yard / Off-Dock
Container Yard For Rent
- Ken Ofori-Atta Faces Parliament Over 3% VAT Controversy
- GNBCC's Annual General Meeting (AGM): 6 July 2017
- Participants New Business Challenge 2017 ready for Study Trip Netherlands!
- New member: Agrona Company Ltd
- New member: Temphousing Ghana Ltd.
- More cuts to import duties coming (B&FT)
- Tomorrow 29 June: GNBCC cocktail hosted by Via Water, IHE and GNBCC
- Job opportunity at ECOM Ghana
- New Member: Koudijs Animal Nutrition
- New member: Jobnetafrica now in Ghana!
- VIA Water presents Fabulously Failing Forward Workshop
- Daily Graphic: Let’s fight Galamsey in the Textile industry
- VIVO Energy Staff and Host Community embark on a Clean Up Exercise
- Looking for work: Yasmine Najja
- Dutch delegation meets with Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority
- Succesful GhanaVeg Horticulture Trade Mission to Ghana
- Second SNBCC newsletter out now
- Agyarko assures industry of cheap power as Energy Summit opens (B&FT)
- Member activity: IAC workshop on June 30 2017
- Dutch Education and Career Fair held on 7 & 8 of June in Accra
- Report on GIPC’s City Business Festival in Alisa Hotel (Swiss Spirits)
- Packaging Design Workshop held for AGI members
- Invitation Ghana Investment Summit 2017 (Netherlands Chamber of Commerce)
- 'We cannot publish tariff formula online' – PURC
- Looking for internships
- Invitation to support Ghana's largest creative confab
- GNBCC PAYS A COURTESY VISIT TO THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF GHANA, HONOURABLE DR MAHAMUDU BAWUMIA
- The Dutch Education and Career Fair next week Wednesday and Thursday in the Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra !
- KICK OFF NEW BUSINESS CHALLENGE 2017
- Ghana Veg Trade Mission
- “Protectionism is not the right way to go”--Yofi Grant
- Attention: Marious Manneh, a business administration student is looking for a 2 months internship.
- Child Labour Symposium at the Embassy of the Kingdom of The Netherlands findings and conclusions
- Dutch Education & Career Fair
- Successful 2nd Freezone Meeting Tema
- Akufo-Addo Reaffirms Plans For Private Sector
- Opportunities To Meet Dutch Horticulture Trade Mission In June 2017
- Ghana Design Network Co-Organises Design Thinking Conference
- Packaging Workshop for Food Processing Trade Mission Delegates
- Ghana Design Network Pays Courtesy Call T0 Ministry of Communication
- Ghana Mining & Energy Summit 2017 - May 31st
- A Message to Our Members from Stitching M.O.E.T Foundation: Cyling Rally
- GHANA PORTS & HARBORS AUTHORITY TO HALT INEFFICIENCIES AT THE PORTS – VEEP DIRECTS GPHA
- GIPC Economic Counsellors Dialogue 2017
- High Electricity prices and related issues
- Ghana Ports To Run A Paperless Administration By September 1
- National Service Personnel Placement : Priscilla Agyemang-Duah
- YEP Ghana Network meets with Dutch Ambassador in Accra
- EBO Cocktail on 31st of May (by invitation only)
- GNBCC Member, Peoples Pension Trust and Partners Launch Mobile-Money Enabled Pension Scheme
- Introducing a new service from Kharis Global Group
- IAC (Inclusive Agribusiness Centre) Accelerator Programme Registration is ongoing
- Postponement of GNBCC Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- Invitation to Design Thinking Ghana Conference (DTGC)
- Dutch Ambassador: 'Reduce fiscal deficit to attract investors'
- The smuggling problem in Ghana
- Registrar General Department temporarily not functioning
- Looking for National Service placement: Richard Nti Ampofo
- King's Day supplement published in Business & Financial Times
- GNBCC Annual General Meeting: 18 May
- First SNBCC members and monthly newsletters
- Intivation to meet Ghanaian Agro-Processing delegation in the Netherlands
- Public annoucement: Tema Roundabout Road Works
- Invitation to Access Bank Golf Tournament
- Looking for work: Ernestina Takia Odorkor
- GNBCC office closed on May 1st
- New Business Challenge 2017 is open for applications
- Orange Week 2017: Fuse It Festival and Holland Ghana Jazz Night
- Government cleans payroll and Pensions Registry - close to 50.000 "Ghost names" are to be removed
- NAAG organizes King's Day Health Walk
- MDF launches the IBA Hub Accra Ghana
- Vivo Energy and VIP launch new bus service to Kumasi
- New Premium Member: Ntrakwah & Co, Legal Practitioners and Consultants
- Cargill launches its own Licensed Buying Company in Ghana
- News from EBO-Ghana on new GRA rules
- Easter holiday
- Well-visited KLM-cocktail at GNBCC office
- Sierra Leone Business seminar in Amsterdam 6 April
- Introducing Ophelia Attah
- NRSC and GES laud Vivo Energy Ghana for 360-degree approach to road safety
- B&FT Offer: Special Publication on Netherlands Kingsday Celebration 2017
- Ghana International Trade & Finance Conference
- New Member: COMEXAS / NileDutch
- Business dinner with deputy Minister designate Robert Ahomka-Lindsay
- Join the GhanaVeg Horticulture Trade Mission to Ghana 12-16 June
- Plans of the new government to improve business climate
- Save the date: IBA Hub Ghana Launhching Event
- Geodata for Agriculture and Water (G4AW) - call for proposals
- Koningsdag 2017: invitation for all Dutch in Ghana
- Ghana Design Network (GDN) Signs Memorandum of Understanding with KNUST
- GNBCC tailor made business events have started!
- Vacancies GNBCC Board
- The Netherlands-Ghana Business Fair The Hague
- First session Ghana Business Star Growth Program
- Wastewater Treatment & Re-use in Ghana: Prospects for Sustainable Development
- GNBCC Cocktail hosted by Zodiac Marine
- LNBCC launched with Dutch community in Liberia
- Safi Sana factory in Ashiaman officialy opened this week
- Mr. Paul Asare Ansah (GPHA): "Scrap nuisance tax in port on transit trade"
- GNWP session “Wastewater Treatment and Re-use in Ghana: Prospects for Sustainable Development”
- Portraits Ghana Photography Prize 2017
- REMINDER: GNBCC Cocktail Thursday 16 March at GNBCC office, hosted by Zodiac Marine
- Invitation to the opening of the Safi Sana 'Poo Power' Factory - March 15th
- PwC Presents Budget 2017 Highlights: “ Sowing the Seeds for Growth and Jobs”
- Workshop “Identifying and Creating New Market for Sustainable Agribusiness Development”
- Clean Energy Summit Africa, 4-5 April 2017 in Accra
- Vivo Energy: Sefwi Ntrentso Community to benefit from clean water supply
- Looking for employment in Ghana: Gerrie van Soeren
- Budget 2017: Tax Reliefs Summary
- Air France-KLM: leader between Europe and Africa
- GNBCC Member Story: Agro Eco - Sustainable Agriculture, Health and Nutrition
- Are you a Dutch business and do you have a great business idea? Submit it to Making Africa Work!
- Vivo Energy: More Children to benefit from the Otumfuo Education Trust Fund
- Available for assignments: Sylvester Abitty
- New Business Challenge 2017: we are looking for one more company
- DENG/DSTC organized a Solar Water Pump training on 22-23 February
- Profitable business in Ghana for sale
- Looking for work in Ghana: Rosalie Koevoets
- Business news
- Maxim Nyansa: admission now open for next training programme for IT graduates in Ghana
- Unilever pledges to support government
- Member Story: Wella Investments - Where Customer Needs Are Satisfied
- Last chance to sign up for the Ghana Business Star Growth Program!
- Ghana's Business Climate in the News
- Member news: Shell expands its services in Kumasi
- Be a partner or sponsor of the African Business Day 2017
- GNBCC colleague participates in presentation Young Expert Program (YEP)
- Sucessful workshop day for Sustainable Ports Africa Delegation
- First Ghana Design Workshop of the year was well-attended
- GhanaVeg Food Diaries starts 12 February!
- Sponsorship request from the Dutch School in Accra
- Well-visited GNBCC Cocktail at Witteveen+Bos
- Sustainable African Ports Workshop next week
- Lecture 9 February: Design, a strategic management tool – by Peter Kersten
- GNBCC Member Story: Sustainable Lifestyles at Jolinaiko EcoTours
- REMINDER: 2 February: GNBCC Cocktail at Witteveen+Bos
- VIA Water Fund closing: Final Call for Proposals
- New NAAG National Executive Committee inaugurated on 20 January
- Ghana Business Star Growth Program officially launched
- Kick-off Growing Business Together on January 26th in Accra
- GNBCC member story: B&P Associates
- Member news: Unilever commits to 100% recyclable plastic packaging by 2025
- GNBCC employees Liberia and Sierra Leone in the Netherlands 15-21 January
- Vacancy: Internal Audit Assistant at Ecom Agrotrade
- Startup accelerator Growing Business Together begins
- Ghana Design Network (GDN) in 2017
- Happy holidays!
- GNBCC office closed from 24 December to 3 January
- GNBCC End of Year Cocktail at Wienco
- MBC Africa partners Dutch government to Grow businesses in Ghana
- GNBCC Member Story: People's Pension Trust (PPT)
- Toilet Board Coalition (TBC) selects Safi Sana for the Toilet Accelerator 2017!
- REMINDER: GNBCC End of Year Cocktail at Wienco tonight
- GNBCC employees Liberia and Sierra Leone in Ghana 12-16 December
- Opportunity to join the Africa Ranking!
- In the news: Ghana – Netherlands trade volumes to double by 2020
- Looking for a job in Ghana: Annewies Awatigah-Veerman
- CSR event 30 November
- Sustainable Water Fund (FDW): call for ideas open
- REMINDER: CSR, Simply Smart Business - 30 November
- Looking for a 3-months internship from August 2017
- GNBCC in Liberia and Sierra Leone
- KLM starts flights to Sierra Leone and Liberia in summer 2017
- Ghana Home Loans begins banking operations in 2017
- REMINDER: GNBCC Cocktail 17 November at Interpay
- 16 November: Information meeting on the Ghana Business Star Growth Program
- GNBCC at Africa Works! 10 & 11 November
- P2P Business Academy Officially Launched
- Vivo Energy wins top awards at GOGA 2016
- Van den Bosch and MTG open first tank cleaning station in West Africa
- IBA - Inclusive Business Accelerator
- 10-11 November: Third Africa Works! is all about ‘Innovation in Finance’
- Maiden Edition of MM Business Expo Held in Accra
- Shell celebrates customers nationwide
- Looking for employment in Ghana: Robert Quartey
- Access Bank launches Initial Public Offer of Shares
- Follow GNBCC on Social Media!
- Ghana Home Loans Housing Fair 29 - 30 October
- New Business Challenge 2016: Matching Day
- VIA Water Café in Accra
- Looking for employment in Ghana: Gerrie van Soeren
- The Orange Committee is looking for volunteers!