Govt hints of new tax policies • Mid-year budget review to reveal details
The Minister of Finance, Mr Ken Ofori Atta, has hinted of a possible introduction of new tax policies which will form part of measures to shore up the country’s domestic revenue mobilisation. He, however, fell short of confirming whether or not the new policies will result in the introduction of new taxes.
Mr Ofori-Atta, who dropped the hint in an interview with the media on the sidelines of a conference on Ghana Beyond Aid in Accra last week Thursday, said the government would present to Parliament, a package of tax policy measures in the mid-year budget review as part of efforts to ensure sustained funding for its key programmes.
The hint comes at a time when domestic revenue mobilisation has become a challenge, in spite of the numerous efforts by the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) to rope in more people into the tax net.
Presently, only a minute percentage of the people are in the tax net and the announcement may spark some agitations in view of how similar hints in the past have only ended up in increasing the taxes for those already in the net and not necessarily widening it to rope in the many who evade or avoid taxes.
This year, the GRA has an arduous task to meet a tax revenue target of GH¢39.8 billion. This is at a timw when the government recently announced the abolishing of up to 64 taxes at various levels.
In 2017, the Authority failed to meet its target as it raked in GH¢ 32.3 billion, representing a shortfall of GH¢1.1 billion. Earlier in the year under review, the government had either reduced or abolished taxes it referred to as nuisance taxes. That exercise cost the nation more than a Ghc1 billion.
To ensure the buy-in of the new tax reforms yet to be announced from those in the informal sector, in particular, the Finance Minister said the Ministry of Finance was currently in discussions with the Ghana Union of Traders Association (GUTA), the Association of Ghana Industries (AGI), and would, therefore, come up with the new tax measures after consultation with all the relevant stakeholders.
“We have been quiet transparent with regard to the resources we have and the expenditures. I think by the end of the discussions, we will be able to know what type of package we should introduce. Whether we are decreasing some or increasing some,” he noted.
“So far we have only gone on eliminating taxes and reducing taxes so the government clearly has been giving and its time for us to sit down and move to the next level and look at what we have to do to be able to attain a strong country,” he added.
GH¢1 billion lost
The minister also pointed out that the country lost about GH¢1 billion as a result of eliminating some taxes last year.
“But the issue of eliminating nuisance taxes is that you also believe in the genius of the Ghana entrepreneur to respond through productivity. When you take away taxes, you create economic freedom and people begin to work and you get taxes from them”, he said.
Implementation of TIN
Mr Ofori Atta also noted that the implementation of the Tax Identification Number (TIN) policy was very instrumental in improving the country’s domestic revenue mobilisation.
He, however, pointed out that for this to be successful, there had to be a voluntary compliance on the part of the people.
The Moving Beyond Aid conference was jointly organised by the Government of Ghana, the African Centre for Economic Transformation (ACET), and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to brainstorm on how to improve domestic revenue mobilisation (DRM) in some selected African countries.
It was aimed at discussing how stepping up DRM could help countries working on the Compact with Africa Initiative (CWA) overcome aid dependence, ease financing constraints, and enhance growth prospects, which were all key elements to achieving prosperity without jeopardising debt sustainability.
The initiative is to attract private investment to the CWA countries by ensuring macroeconomic stability.
The conference provided solutions on how to deal with institutional and political constraints in revenue mobilisation, improve tax compliance, and alleviate base erosion and profit shifting by multinational companies.
It also focused on common DRM challenges and proposed short- and medium-term growth-friendly revenue-enhancing solutions.
It provided a forum for knowledge sharing and peer-to-peer learning among senior government officials, experts, representatives of the civil society, and development partners.
Rethinking development trajectory
Earlier in his closing remarks during the meeting, Mr Ofori Atta said there was no doubt about the need for developing countries to rethink the development trajectory and support systems for sustainable developments in this era of diminishing foreign aid and grants.
He said fortunately, the sustainable development goals in the African Union Agenda had highlighted the need to increase DRM as they strove to achieve the same goal of development for its people.
“Our new shared partnership in the G20 Compact with Africa also emphasises this new paradigm shift for growth,” he stated.
Source: Graphic Business, Emmanuel Bruce, 10 April 2018.
GNBCC | News
- Last Night's April Cocktail sponsored by The Advantage Group
- Embassy King's Day Event
- Last call up for the B&FT Orange King's Day supplement
- Closing Ceremony Dutch Export Academy
- WARA/ISOS Client Event Kumasi & Takoradi
- New GNBCC Business Member: Mazars Ghana
- Vivo Energy Ghana Equips New Abirem Government Hospital
- GH¢2.6bn lost to import exemptions in 2017
- IS AFRICA’S CHANGING SOLID INVESTORS FOR ROGUE INVESTORS?
- Vacancy for Managing Director in Accra
- Investcorp Market Review - 20th April, 2018
- GNBCC Cocktail hosted by The Advantage Group
- New Business Challenge 2018 open for applications!
- Govt hints of new tax policies • Mid-year budget review to reveal details
- It’s a good time to be in Ghana – Bawumia tells Alianz business delegation
- Successful organization of this year’s GITFIC
- Kick-off Ghana Business Star Growth Program
- 21st April 2018: Fuse It 2.0 at Netherlands Embassy!
- Vacancy in the Netherlands
- Looking for work: Dennis Verboom
- Union Capital - Capital Market Report March 2018
- Investcorp Market Review - 13th April, 2018
- New Member: Hofstede Insights
- Dutch Export Academy off to a successful start
- GRA to get tough on tax defaulters - Using this year for more education
- Public debt challenge to Ghana Beyond Aid
- Launch of the IEA2017 Business Confidence Survey Report
- Vacancy Production Manager
- SLNBCC publishes 9th Newsletter.
- Third LNBCC Newsletter
- INTERNSHIP POSITIONS NEEDED - STUDENTS CALLING FOR HOST COMPANIES
- Successful Allianz Cocktail
- Amcham & EBO's joint event on Local Content
- Influx of Imported Textiles Collapsing Industries
- Access Bank signs $25m million facility with FMO
- KLM wins Airline of the Year Title
- The broken dream: 75% of Ghanaians want out of country – survey
- Second Ghana International Trade & Finance Conference (GITFIC) - offer for GNBCC members
- Meet the Accra based travel agency Ayikoo tours
- Ghana Business Star Growth Program
- Vacancy for Sales & Farm Advisors
- Expats to undergo compulsory screening at Immigration Service Hospital
- Unilever Global CEO visits Ghana
- Investcorp Market Review - 29 March 2018
- GNBCC Cocktail hosted by Allianz Ghana
- New GNBCC Member: AbuFatawu Limited
- Gov’t suspends fumigation levy and import VAT on 64 items including phones
- Cut $2M food import and produce locally – Netherlands Ambassador
- Oil, services-based growth perpetuating poverty - WB report
- Ensuring income security for cocoa farmers in Ghana – the case of Cocoa Abrabopa Pension Scheme
- Vivo Energy Ghana Sets the Pace as it Nurtures Ghana’s Green Leaders
- GNBCC Membership Debit Visa Cards are ready!
- Vacancy for General Manager in Kumasi
- Air France to start daily flights to Accra March 25th
- Africa-Israel Agricultural Trade Mission in May 2018
- Dutch Export Academy
- International Business Meeting and Network Cocktail held
- PURC tariff reduction takes effect March 15 - ECG
- LOCAL CONTENT BILLS IN GHANA: Who is checking the effects, impacts and consequences?
- What’s the World’s Fastest-Growing Economy? Ghana Contends for the Crown
- Increase of VAT on several imported products in Ghana
- New GNBCC Member: Aerime Import & Export
- Vacancy for Senior HR Manager in Akosombo
- Union Capital Market Capital Market Report February 2018
- Ghana South-Africa Business Networking Seminar - 19th of March
- New Premium Member: Red Sea Housing Services
- PURC reduces electricity tariffs; 17.5% for homes, 30% for businesses
- Ghana drops from 4th to 5th in Best Place to invest in Africa ranking
- President Akufo-Addo’s 61st independence day anniversary speech
- Second LNBCC newsletter
- Vacancy for Senior Sales Manager in Accra, with frequent travel
- Message for Dutch Citizens in Ghana
- GNBCC Receives Citation at NAAG's 35th Celebration Dinner
- Economic Growth not translating into Jobs
- New GNBCC Member: Medidian Plus Company Ltd
- Flash Alert on Tax Amnesty
- The economic impact of local content requirements - OECD
- Son of Dutch prince to be granted royal title after legal battle
- Successful GNBCC Cocktail jointly sponsored by Interpay and People’s Pension Trust (PPT)
- Ghana drops to 81 in 2017 corruption perception Index
- New Business Challenge and Growing Business Together - Brainstorming & Networking Event
- SLNBCC publishes 8th newsletter
- GNBCC Premium Member Access Bank starts Maternal Health Scheme
- Training Offer by new GNBCC Member Blend Your Learning
- Gov’t must cut down on imports – World Bank Boss
- NABC presents: Dutch Agrofood & Agrologistics trade mission to Nigeria
- GNBCC February Cocktail
- Interpay/People's Pension Trust Joint Cocktail on 22nd February 2018
- Gov’t urged to be tough on pirates and textile smugglers
- New GNBCC member: SPARK DESIGNS
- Introducting Esther Kamara of SLNBCC
- Cargill takes steps to modernize renewable energy infrastructure in Ghana
- Public utilities propose tariff increases
- Ghana's Frimpong finishes last in Skeleton heats
- Maxim Nyansa presents Campaingn: Computers for Schools in Ghana
- Early Bird Meeting on Dutch Financial Instruments
- 2018 State of Nation Address – Highlights
- New Member: XpressGas Limited
- Queen Mathilde of Belgium in Ghana to champion SDGS
- GNBCC – Researchlime Market Research Services
- The local content issue in Ghana compared to Zimbabwe
- The GHANA INTERNATIONAL TRADE & FINANCE CONFERENCE 2018 (GITFIC)
- African Mining at Crossroads – warns Bristow
- NEW BUSINESS MEMBER: INVITROLABS GHANA LIMITED
- Ghana's Economic Outlook for the year 2018
- GNBCC Member Ports Marine Ltd gets Featured in Project Cargo Weekly
- Holland Pavilion at the Agrofood Plastprintpack exhibition in Lagos, Nigeria
- PRESS RELEASE: Ghana Cocoa Board Honors Cocoa Abrabopa Farmer for Award-Winning Work on Fine Flavor Cocoa
- Taste The World Global Cocktail Event
- Looking for work: Mr Emmanuel Anane
- Environment 360 Fundraiser: Bring Back Our Bikes
- Ghana MPs spend US$86,000 to get elected – study
- GNBCC New Year's Cocktail Hosted by The Royal Netherlands Embassy
- LNBCC Announces Maiden Newsletter for 2018
- SLNBCC Newsletter: 7th Edition
- Introduction of SNV Ghana Country Director
- Cash for seat saga: MoTI was wrong to have used public accounts to collect private funds – Controller
- Sustainable ports in Africa - Creating a Blueprint for Sustainable Ports
- Looking for Work In Ghana: Mara de Graaf
- In Memoriam: Sven van Laak
- LNBCC New Year's Cocktail in Liberia
- New Business Challenge 2018 is Looking for Business Cases
- Join the Ghana Business Star Growth Program
- Dutch-Ghanaian athlete to compete for Ghana in 2018 Winter Olympics
- We are on track – Akufo-Addo
- Cash for seat saga: Expatriate businesses fail to show up at Committee sitting
- Changes in Visa Procedure for obtaining a Visa to the Netherlands
- GNBCC announcement
- Continued fiscal reforms point to positive economic outlook-Oxford Business Group
- Minister sends 14 workers home for lateness
- Opportunity for Dutch companies to participate in NABC trade mission to Burkina Faso
- GNBCC Christmas & New Year Wishes
- GNBCC Office Closed for Christmas Break
- LNBCC Newsletter: Second Edition
- SLNBCC Presents "Agribusiness Conference" on the 27th and 29th of December 2018
- Successful Business Breakfast for GNBCC Premium Members
- Business Day Ambassadors Conference 2018
- Economy grows 9.3% in Q3
- President queries Trade Minister over charges at Expatriate Awards - Millennium Foundation denies collecting money
- Vivo Energy's Shirley Kum Wins PR Award
- Participants of Ghana Business Star Growth Program Receive Certificates
- British Council Creative Hubs Training In Abuja
- Vivo Energy Wins Four Prestigious Awards
- The GBT Business Booster Returns February 2018
- Job Vacancy : Looking for Solar Panel Supervisor
- New NABC Leadership
- CJ Schools MP Over The Use Of Titles In Court
- GNBCC Cocktail Hosted by Wienco, Tomorrow 14th December
- Press Release: Vivo Energy and Engen Holdings enter into share transaction
- Evaluation of Brief Successful Visit of Dutch Prime Minister to Ghana
- Successful participation of Dutch companies in West Africa Agrofood Fair
- GNBCC Members won Ghana Expatriate Business Awards
- Very Successful Business Seminar And Dinner In Freetown, Sierra Leone
- Press Release: Cargill Takes Steps To Modernize Renewable Energy Infrastructure In Ghana
- Tourism Sector Loses Vital Income As Castles And Forts Remain Closed
- Poor Flight Connectivity, Strict Visa Rules Make Tourists Avoid Africa
- VIA WATER Sharing Skills Seminar in ACCRA
- Dutch Prime Minister Visits Ghana
- Dutch Minister of Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation Meets with Dutch Entrepreneurs in Ghana
- Safi Sana Wins the "Doing Business in Africa" Award
- GCIC Hosts Green Business Forum & Exhibition 2017
- The Logess Estates Guesthouse Invites You to their Cocktail Dubbed "Taste the World"
- Introducing the GNBCC Access Membership Card
- Visit the Holland Pavilion at the Agrofood West Africa Fair this week!
- GNBCC Cocktail Hosted By Access Bank
- SLNBCC Newsletter 5
- PwC 2018 Budget Highlights
- Access Bank Marks Women Entrepreneurship Day With Workshop For Market Women
- GTP Unveils New Brand Campaign And 4th Quarter Collection
- Moody’s Sounds Alarm On US$4.5bn Bond Repayment
- Job Vacancy : Looking for a Sales Manager
- GNBCC Cocktail hosted by Access Bank , Tomorrow, Wednesday, 22nd November
- First Edition of The Liberia Netherlands Business and Culture Council (LNBCC) Newsletter
- VIA Water Sharing Skills Seminar in Accra
- Made in Africa Work Programme (MAW) Looking for Angel Investors
- Vivo Energy: An Extra Special Day For Shell Customers Nationwide
- Is Nkrumah Dictating Ghana’s Economic Policy From The Grave?
- Power Tariffs To Go Down Next Year
- Looking for Work: Phoebe Osei-Osafo
- Beach House for Sale in Gomoa Fetteh
- GNBCC's GhanaPostGPS Code
- Introducing New LNBCC Project Officer - Eline Terneusen
- Ghana Design Network Embarked On Design Mission To The Netherlands
- Private Sector Development Video of the Embassy, Featuring NBC
- EU Lifts Ban On Exports Of 5 Vegetables Into European Markets
- Vivo Energy: More People Win in the Shell Filling No Y3 Deep Promotion
- Union Capital offers Business Development Pack for SMEs
- Ghana Moves Down On Ease Of Doing Business Index
- Ghana To Participate In International Junior Science Olympiad (IJSO) in the Netherlands
- House For Sale in Tema
- Looking for work: Tina Holdbrook-Smith
- The Ghana Design Network Presents: 'Design Talk'
- Safi Sana Nominated for the NABC Doing Business in Africa Award - Please Vote!
- Intercultural Communication Training : Ghana - Netherlands
- The Liberia Netherlands Business and Culture Council Holds Inaugural Business Seminar and Networking Event
- Finance, tax and corruption most problematic factors for doing business
- GNBCC/Researchlime Ltd conduct KOKOplus Consumer Market Research
- Land for sale in Aburi!
- Looking for work: Marissa Popma
- GNBCC congratulates members nominated for the Top Expat CEO Awards 2017
- Waste Mission to the Netherlands Lead by the Minister for Water and Sanitation
- Port Mission to Rotterdam and Amsterdam Postponed
- IBA Business Advisor Training on Inclusive Business Toolkit
- GNBCC Cocktail Hosted by Vivo Energy
- Holland Meets Ghana During GO Recycling Fair In The Netherlands
- "Ghana Beyond Aid” : Lessons Learned From Private Sector Practices
- New Strategy To Eliminate Constraints In Corporate Sector
- MBC Africa Holds Its Maiden Start- Up Investor Conference
- GNBCC Cocktail Hosted by Vivo Energy, Tomorrow, Wednesday 18th of October
- Breakthrough: Dual Nationality For Dutch Allowed
- Vivo Energy Marks Safety Day
- Shipping Lines Threaten Boycott Over “High Charges"
- Akvo Training On The Use Of Akvoflow Tool For Data Collection
- 4th African SME Summit 2017 - 26th to 28th October at the Alisa Hotel
- MBC Africa Holds Its Maiden Start-Up Investor Conference
- Accra Floods After Downpour
- Pre-Departure Meeting held for Waste Trade Mission to the Netherlands
- Driving Made Fun as Shell Launches a New App
- Invitation to Advertise in NAAG Anniverseray Brochure
- Card payment is now possible at GNBCC office
- Port Mission to The Netherlands D-Day: 6th of October
- SLNBCC news letter is out now!
- Electricity tariffs to go down next year
- Excerpts from IEA Lecture by Professor Gareth Austin
- Vivo Energy: Six Taxis for Grabs as Shell Rewards Customers
- Looking for employment: Fouszyia Tamimu
- Introducing New GNBCC Project Manager of Liberia - Theo Dennis
- NBC 2017 Finalized with Matching Day
- Government Discontinues Tax Exemption Requirement
- GNBCC Cocktail Hosted by Midonar & NAAG Held Yesterday
- Press Release of GNBCC’s Premium Member - IOI Loders Croklaan
- Call Up For Dutch Port Mission Amsterdam/Rotterdam
- No Hope For Textile Industry
- Alkebulan’s Awakening: Post Contemporary Dance Production And Installation
- Ecom Learning and Development Co-ordinator
- Thursday, 14th September: GNBCC Cocktail Hosted by Midonar and NAAG
- Increase Of Port Charges ; Call Up For Comment
- Think! Data Services Ltd And Akvo Foundation Sign Partner Agreement
- New Member: Union Capital Limited
- Access MBA Invites You To Their One-to-One MBA Event
- Overcoming The Challenges In The Export Of Agro Products To The EU Market
- NFP Alumni Event on Food Security and Land in West Africa, Ghana
- Ghana Renewable Energy Fair
- Reconsider 3% VAT Flat Rate Scheme (“VFRS”) – Recommendations by AMCHAM Ghana and supported by GNBCC
- Join the IAC Accelerator Programme Batch 2!!
- HFC – Infanta Ride Out Malaria Cycling Tour
- In Memoriam: Ronald Vlasman
- Third SLNBCC newsletter out now
- Auto Parts West Africa and Ghana Motor Show, Int. Trade Fair Center on September 13-16, 2017
- Training Intercultural Management on Sub Sahara Africa by itim International
- From the Dutch Newspaper: Thieves transport luxury cars to Ghana
- Govt Will Not Tolerate Inexplicable Charges, Delays At Ports — Veep
- Request for Co-Sponsors for GNBCC September Cocktail
- GNBCC Member Invitation to Client And Media Event This Monday
- AGI Boss Calls For Raw Material Policy To Feed Ghana's Agro-Processors
- New Business Challenge News & Movie
- Member news: Shell Global Customer Excellence Awards Announce Ghanaian Winner
- GPHA to e-harmonize billing this month
- Ghana's free zones records $2.3bn worth of exports in 2016
- New Business Challenge 2017 Finale
- GNBCC Cocktail Hosted at the Dutch Ambassador’s Residence
- New Member: Koka Shipping Services Limited
- Vivo Energy and MIDAS Announce a Collaborative Pan-African Partnership Agreement
- 3 August: GNBCC cocktail and Final New Business Challenge 2017!
- Member news: Access bank adjudged best sustainable bank
- GIPC CEO's Breakfast Series
- Non-oil sector growth ‘disappointing’ – IFS
- Invitation To Sponsor And Exhibit Your Products… At The Ghana Library Authority Exhibition Show
- Ghana Design Network Holds Focus Group Meeting
- Member news: Vivo Energy Ghana Wins Top Awards at COPEC OMC’s Awards
- Ghana Investment Summit 2017: GNBCC Promotion
- Looking for national service placement: Priscilla Agyemang-Duah
- Successful 1st GNBCC Business Breakfast
- INVITATION TO THE MESH CONFAB
- President Sirleaf Receives Letters of Credence from Ambassadors of Sweden, Mali and The Netherlands
- Official Start of the New Business Challenge - Study Trip To The Netherlands